[bt-devel] Standards

Chris Little bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 22 May 2003 20:24:45 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Vlad Savitsky wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Tell me, please, about standards used in BibleTime.
> I found 4: GBF, XSEM, OSIS and some else.
> But I can't read so much information (~2Mb each).
>
> I have many useful texts for russian speaking people in HTML-format.
> How I can convert it to use in BibleTime?

Details on how to make Sword modules can be found at
http://www.crosswire.org/sword/develop/swordmodule/index.jsp .  This
includes general instructions on using utilities, links to the relevent
standard definitions, and lists of tags from each of those standards that
we support.  If you need something more than what we support, you should
ask for it and we may be interested in adding it.

ThML is the simplest path to take to get data into Sword from HTML.  Your
main task will be converting from HTML to valid XHTML.  htm2thm probably
will help you very little, if at all.  In general, valid documents by
CCEL/ThML standards are not very good for Sword purposes.

Supporting OSIS is our current big thing and all data will be moved to
that format soon.  It is more difficult to encode than ThML because it
doesn't simply adopt every HTML Voyager DTD element, but also much better
defined and will be easier to support in Sword.

XSEM isn't currently, never has been, and never will be supported by
Sword.

--Chris