[bt-devel] Feature Req <strong's tag search>

Fred Saalbach bt-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 22:08:42 -0400

Joachim Ansorg wrote:

> > Also, would there be a way to search for the english word "love" (just
> > an example, of course), and get a list of all the Strong's numbers that
> > represent the Hebrew and Greek words that are translated in our Bibles
> > as "love"  One could then, if my first request is doable, create a verse
> > list that would allow a study from Genesis to Revelation on all the
> > varied shadings of different Hebrew and Greek words.
>
> Sounds more complicated since we have no internal Strongs database. I don't
> see how this could be done automatically for all languages BibleTime
> supports.

You can do it now with no modifications to bibletime.  The
implementation is however a bit crude.

Open a Bible that has Strong's numbers like KJV or GerLut
Open Strongs or copy the strongs tag from the text.
enter the tag in this format <05774> in the searched text field of the
search dialog and do the search.  I get 29 results.

If anyone thinks this is useful I will add it to the handbook.

To add some polish there does not seem to be much use to putting a
feature in Strong's to find all of this Strong's number in module XXX.
You could add a  dropdown menu item on a tag to search and find all
instances of this tag.  The function would launch the search dialog and
copy the tag into the search text field.  Should I make this a feature
request?