[bt-devel] Fon settings for each language - Translation aid

Fred Saalbach bt-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 22:27:49 -0400

Daniel Glassey wrote:

> btw if it is any help AbiWord already translates language names for each
> translation (and KOffice and OpenOffice.org maybe do as well) so we can copy
> those to help with that. (They do pretty obscure ones)

For parts of BibleTime that are translated by way of .pot files kbabel
offers a method of rough (automatic) translation that will give a
reasonable first try and in some cases provide all that we need.  In the
others it might reduce the translators work by automatically reusing
previously translated material.

Create a translation database from existing .pot files.  For BibleTime
updates the .pot files from the last revision should be used to populate
the translation database.  For other things like language names or
messages.pot, create a translation database using the entire .pot set
from kde.i18n.  I tried this once to see if it worked, and it did
provide a reasonably fleshed out translation for about half of the files
I tried.  It works better with words that are more likely to occur with
computer programs.  It worked least well on the Bible Study HowTo.

A translator needs to check any automatic translation, as some portion
of the word substitutions will always be incorrect.

Fred Saalbach