[bt-devel] Fonts question - update

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 14:11:06 +0100

Hi Fred!

> I solved half of my problem.  I was able to install the Bitstream
> Cyberbit font so that bibletime recognized it.  Then I tried to open up
> two bibles that are supposedly encoded in unicode - thaiKJV, and
> ChiGUs.  The result in both cases is a display area full of question
> marks (with verse numbers).  I also tried IGNT but in this case get a
> blank display window showing only verse numbers.

The question marks appear because the wron charset was chosen. Unicode
modules need the charset iso10646-1, so select it in the optionsdialog for
the unicode font.
Using this charset it should work.

> Has anyone tested any of the modules that use non western fonts and been
> able to get them to display correctly?  If there is a particular font
> that is needed I should mention it in the fonts section of the handbook.

Yes, on my side the foreign modules work. YOu need an Unicode font like
Bistream Cyberbit, Code2000 or Microsoft Arial Unicode MS.

> Question If a user needed to use one encoding for one display window say
> unicode, and another like iso 8859-2 for a second display window is this
> possible?  Could this encoding selection be automatic at some future
> revision of bibletime?

Yes, dispalying different modules with different encodings work. Even in the
same window.
Now there are only two types of modules in Sword:
	-iso8859-1 encoded modules
	-iso10646-1 encoded modules (UTF-8 / Unicode)
Yers, I think it should be possible to select the charset automatically.

Joachim