[bt-devel] sword iso

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 15:35:24 +0200

Hello Troy,

> > -KDE itself can have a different layout on different distributions (eg.
> > SuSE, debian) and therefore we cannot dump the data into the
> > bibletimebase.tar.gz file, because we cannot a priori say where the data
> > should go to
>
> Right, again, my error, see above.

Yes, I understand. But my point was different: not only the *location* of KDE
may differ (/opt/kde3 or /usr/), but also the internal layout (directory
structure) of KDE. E.g. the doc path relative to $KDEDIR in SuSE is
share/doc/html, in debian it is share/doc/kde/HTML. Therefore one single
bibletimebase.tar.gz would NOT be sufficient.
Btw, what about a second binary? Would that be possible?

> This is not exactly accurate.  The configuration we use in setup.xml
> does this.  Loki setup also supports rpm and deb packages (and a plugin
> mechanism for other package type that I haven't look to see what is
> available) besides .tar.gz.  It also allows you call custom scripts or
> do pretty much whatever you want.

Why don't we just have a list where the user can select the appropriate binary
package (rpm, deb) for his system and let LokiInstaller call the package
manager to install it? That would eliminate the problems I mentioned.

> It is probably the EASIEST setup for you to support.  Anyone can make a
> .tar.gz file, and place a binary in bin/x86/

That is certainly true. But I feel that it does not meed the complexity and
variety of target systems. I might be wrong though.

Martin