[bt-devel] sword iso

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 21:06:46 +0200

Hello Troy,

> Hey guys, just a heads up.  We're winding down the win32 frontend
> development and hope to soon release a new version along with 1.5.4 of
> the api.
> We will be trying to get new CD's burned soon after that.  You guys are
> always good at updating your stuff on the CD.

Yeah, I saw that you and David are doing a lot of great work at the moment!
Wonderful!
I don't think we need to update much, but I shall take a look once I have more
time. When is the iso deadline?

> One thing I would really love is for someone to take ownership of the
> BibleTime installer part of the CD setup.
>
> It is really very easy, all non-arch stuff goes in a / relative
> bibletimebase.tar.gz and a binary for all platforms you want to support
> go under the bin/ in the appropriate directories.

I am still not really convinced about this issue. The problem is as follows:
-we would need different versions for different KDE installations (2.x, 3.x)
which are not binary compatible
-KDE itself can have a different layout on different distributions (eg. SuSE,
debian) and therefore we cannot dump the data into the bibletimebase.tar.gz
file, because we cannot a priori say where the data should go to
-things might start to interfere with the system's package manager if ppl
choose to later or earlier install files from precompiled packages for their
system; the Loki installer just installs the files and they are not
registered in the system
-Linux/Unix users usually know how to install a binary package, maybe unlike
Windows users
-therefore I would rather stay with providing as many different binary
packages as we can (which is difficult enough -- we still only have SuSE rpms
for the current version), and not additionally have the trouble to make tons
of different packages for the installer as well

So what do you say? Can the issues be solved? Would it be worth the effort? We
need your expertise here.

Martin