[bt-devel] How should bookmarks be saved?

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 15:32:31 +0200

I have a design question to all who have some ideas.

How should we save bookmarks now?

I'd suggest to use an XML file, because this is easy to write and has a tree
structure like the main index.
But we loose compatibility with other Sword fromntends like GnomeSword.

Is compatibility necessary or can we ignore this? Are there people who use
GnomeSword and BibleTime regularly on the same system?
Exporting to GnomeSword should be possible in future if we decide to use XML.

Another option would be to wait fro Sword's bookmark implementation, if this
is planned. But this would be a binary format and multiple files so it's not
so easy to export.

What do you think about the bookmark format? Please comment.

Thanks,
Joachim