[bt-devel] making installation easier

Brook Humphrey bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 05:45:11 -0800

On Monday 11 February 2002 03:18, you wrote:
> On sword-devel it was mentioned, that the installation process of
> sword/bibletime/modules is too complicated on linux.
>
> Do you have any ideas on how to change this?
>
> A very unfinished proposal:
> We could create a bibletime-sword module. It contains the sword lib and
> necessary additional files like sword.conf and the locale stuff. Users only
> need to install it if they have not installed sword already. Sword will be
> linked in dynamically (I think this is a lot more cleaner approach how to
> handle libaries). This package could even contain small example modules.
> The bad side is that we'd need to maintain this.
> Maybe it would be enough to create a sword rpm which takes care of all this
> and the sword.conf file as well. Anyway we should stop compiling sword in
> statically, this makes the whole issue more complicated, because users need
> to install the sword datafiles as well.
>
> Martin
The way the rpm is setup not only is sword compiled staticly but the
sword.conf is created and all supporting files are there. The problem with
not doing it this way is that there will be possible conflicts with any sword
rpm's that someone may want to install.

One of two things could be done to make things easier:
1) I could make a new set of rpm's for all the modules. In this way no one
whould have to worry about weather or not they are in rpm form.
2) An install manager could be programed that whould allow the install or
updating of modules. This could be run the first time bibletime is run or
downloaded sepperately. It whould allow files to be installed in either the
sword mods directory or if there is no root access or they prefer otherwise
the modules could be installed in the useres home directory under .sword.

The short term and maybe fastest way whould be to make the rpm's but I'm not
shure I have the time for the constant updates. I could get the ones out that
are available now but not worry about anything else untill makes it into the
main repository. The disadvantage to this is that two different instalation
methods are required one for windows and one for linux.

The install manager although it whould take longer whould make the
instellation of modules universal. It whould be the same on windows and linux.

Might I also suggest the an installer whould be able to choose multiple
mediums to install from (ftp,cdrom,http or whatever)

--
                                                  Brook Humphrey