[bt-devel] making installation easier

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:18:19 +0100

On sword-devel it was mentioned, that the installation process of
sword/bibletime/modules is too complicated on linux.

Do you have any ideas on how to change this?

A very unfinished proposal:
We could create a bibletime-sword module. It contains the sword lib and
necessary additional files like sword.conf and the locale stuff. Users only
need to install it if they have not installed sword already. Sword will be
linked in dynamically (I think this is a lot more cleaner approach how to
handle libaries). This package could even contain small example modules.
The bad side is that we'd need to maintain this.
Maybe it would be enough to create a sword rpm which takes care of all this
and the sword.conf file as well. Anyway we should stop compiling sword in
statically, this makes the whole issue more complicated, because users need
to install the sword datafiles as well.

Martin