[bt-devel] NEW SERVER / DOWN TIME

Troy A. Griffitts bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 02 Feb 2002 23:19:00 -0700

Last week CrossWire's servers were hacked.

God's gracious, as always, and I think I caught the hacker just hours
after he broke in.  He was logging userid's and passwd's so if you use
the same id / passwd on crosswire as you do anywhere else, I would
suggest changing your passwds.  The log file only contained a few users,
and I have informed all of them, but just to be safe, I would consider
changing passwd's even if I didn't contact you.

As I said, God is gracious and uses all things for His Glory.  We now
have a BEEFY box to serve:

AMD XP 1800+
1 gig of memory
120 gigs of storage
80 gig backup

:)

I've been spending much of my time over the past few days configuring
the new server.  I think I have most everything back online, but please
let me know if you find things that aren't there.

USER ACCOUNTS:
	If you previously had a user account on crosswire and would still like
to receive mail sent to you at crosswire, please send me a private email
with a forwarding address and I'll set up the alias.  I'm being a little
cautious for a bit, so please excuse me not dumping all the old accounts
back on the new server.

Mailing lists should be back up.  Please resend anything that was sent
in the past 3 days.
CVS should be back online shortly.

	Thanks for your patience over these past few days,

	By God's Grace,
		-Troy.