[bt-devel] Fwd: Re: BibleTime 1.3beta1

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 12:27:12 +0100

Again, a forwarded message from Andreas Pour. We should look into all the
things he pointed out before 1.3final.
The auto-packaging stuff looks really promising.

Martin

Subject: Re: BibleTime 1.3beta1
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 16:07:07 -0600
From: Andreas Pour <pour@mieterra.com>

Hi, Martin,

[ ... ]

> > OK, easy way to do it is to make $HOME/.ICEauthority not writable by the
> > user (e.g., create a "test" user and make it owned by root).
>
> Thanks, we'll try that.
> Btw, new beta released with your cvs fix inside. You don't need to create
> binary packages for the beta releases, but you are certainly free to do so.
> =)

Well, I'll continue to package the betas, but since I already made a patch
 for this, I'll wait until the next one :-).

[ ... ]

> > Great!  In the meantime though, the dialog that comes up could be a bit
> > more informative, no?  If it's just a matter of downloading some files,
> > not sure why you can't use kfmclient for that . . . .
>
> Right. We should update our dialog files to include a link to the crosswire
> website for now.

Sure, that would help, a pin cite to the exact download page, along with
instructions on where to put them - no need for everyone to jump though hoops
trying to figure it out when you already know all this :-).

> > > -the thumbnails are not working correctly (just try)
> >
> > Really? They work for me . . . .
>
> Oh, alright. Maybe just does not work for me here. Try to click the last
> one of the 4 thumbs. A different image comes up than the thumbnail shows.
> But nm, this does not really matter.

Ahh, I see what happens.  To generate the thumbnails the images are first
downloaded, but since there are multiple images with the same name (but in
different directories) they overwrite each other :-/.  Maybe when you make
 the next shots you can use more original names than 1-large.jpg ;-).

> > > -where do those coooool binary packages come from? were they
> > > auto-generated? Is that a service of kde.com or what?
> >
> > Yes, that's our new service - though there are a few kinks left so it's
> > not widely announced yet (just if you happen to notice it while you're
> > browsing).
>
> Wow. Thats so great. Would we have to pay for this in order to be able to
> use it in future? Could you point me to some information about this awesome
> new service?

Well if you want to mirror the BibleTime packages I think that's OK (on appsy
they are available only by subscription since, well, maintaining the site is
 a full-time job).  In the near future I will add the ability for developers
 to download packages for their apps, but you can imagine getting the service
 off the ground is of a higher priority.  The next stable release, if this
 feature is not implemented yet, I'll provide you with a personal download
 link so you can mirror them (we prefer not to provide the bandwidth since
 the packages are quite large) - we already did this with the last KDevelop
 release.

[ ... ]

Ciao,

Dre