[bt-devel] Re: BibleTime 1.3beta1

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 22:34:49 +0100

Andreas,

> > > First bug:  Bibletime will crash if DCOP cannot be set up.  Probably
> > > not checking a return value for NULL.
> > >
> > > Second bug:  Bibletime crashed the first time I got past that problem,
> > > but not the second time.  Perhaps b/c I had no SWORD modules installed.
> >
> > We need to check those 2, I cannot do it now.

> OK, easy way to do it is to make $HOME/.ICEauthority not writable by the
> user (e.g., create a "test" user and make it owned by root).

Thanks, we'll try that.
Btw, new beta released with your cvs fix inside. You don't need to create
binary packages for the beta releases, but you are certainly free to do so.
=)

> > > Feature request:  if there are no modules installed, how about
> > > providing a GUI interface to install them?  They do not come as part of
> > > the base SWORD distribution and are just data files, right?  Since I
> > > installed SWORD but still got the "no modules" error message.
> >
> > As stated on bibletime.de, we already have beginnings of this (called
> > SetupWizard) in cvs, but it will not be a part of the 1.3 release,
> > because we have to wait for some stuff in the sword lib which still needs
> > to be done. Once the sword guys have the time to implement it, it should
> > be done fairly quickly. The beginnings are already there.
>
> Great!  In the meantime though, the dialog that comes up could be a bit
> more informative, no?  If it's just a matter of downloading some files, not
> sure why you can't use kfmclient for that . . . .

Right. We should update our dialog files to include a link to the crosswire
website for now.

> > -the thumbnails are not working correctly (just try)
>
> Really? They work for me . . . .

Oh, alright. Maybe just does not work for me here. Try to click the last one
of the 4 thumbs. A different image comes up than the thumbnail shows. But nm,
this does not really matter.

> > -where do those coooool binary packages come from? were they
> > auto-generated? Is that a service of kde.com or what?
>
> Yes, that's our new service - though there are a few kinks left so it's not
> widely announced yet (just if you happen to notice it while you're
> browsing).

Wow. Thats so great. Would we have to pay for this in order to be able to use
it in future? Could you point me to some information about this awesome new
service?

Martin