[bt-devel] Re: BibleTime 1.3beta1

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 21:20:51 +0100

Dear Andreas,

thanks for your highly valuable feedback on the 1.3beta1 release of BibleTime.
I am happy to see that you are still interested in our small project.
Forwarded your mail to the devel list.

> First bug:  Bibletime will crash if DCOP cannot be set up.  Probably not
> checking a return value for NULL.
>
> Second bug:  Bibletime crashed the first time I got past that problem, but
> not the second time.  Perhaps b/c I had no SWORD modules installed.

We need to check those 2, I cannot do it now.

> Compile fix:  in bibletime/backend/clanguagemgr.h method name() is declared
> as inline, but not defined in the header file.  Not sure how that should
> work, though it does for some compilers, but not e.g. for Mandrake 9.0.
> Fix:  remove the "inline" keyword or place the definition in the .h file
> (since another class using the method shoudl not have to parse a .cpp file
> to find the inline def'n).

Fixed in cvs. Good point.

> Feature request:  if there are no modules installed, how about providing a
> GUI interface to install them?  They do not come as part of the base SWORD
> distribution and are just data files, right?  Since I installed SWORD but
> still got the "no modules" error message.

As stated on bibletime.de, we already have beginnings of this (called
SetupWizard) in cvs, but it will not be a part of the 1.3 release, because we
have to wait for some stuff in the sword lib which still needs to be done.
Once the sword guys have the time to implement it, it should be done fairly
quickly. The beginnings are already there.

A few comments/questions on the bibletime entry on apps.kde.com:
-the bibletime-doc module is not necessary any more from 1.3 on. We have
everything in the bibletime module again, but now we have the possibility to
release the translated (independent) packages later, such as
bibletime-i18n-de. They will only contain the translated data (messages and
xml files)
-I do not see the 1.2.x releases any more. Users should not (only) see the
1.3beta1 by default, as it is still unstable, and more betas will follow.
-the thumbnails are not working correctly (just try)
-where do those coooool binary packages come from? were they auto-generated?
Is that a service of kde.com or what?

Again, thanks for your interest and your valuable help. We are really glad
about that. May God bless you,

Martin