[bt-devel] Difficulties with Sword and BibleTime compilations

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 19:27:39 +0200

Hi!

Sorry for the late answer!

> This is line 413 from /bibletime/bibletime/backend/cswordbackend.cpp:
>    return SWMgr::isICU;
> g++ is saying that 'isICU' is not a member of type 'SWMgr'

> Could this be an error in the
> /bibletime/bibletime/backend/cswordbackend.cpp file?

No, no error. Compiling BibleTime's CVS is only possible if you have Sword's
CVS installed properly.
Before installing it, please make sure you did a make uninstall in Sword's
1.5.3 source directory.

> g++ -DUSE_AUTOTOOLS -DICUDATA=\"/usr/lib/sword\" -DUNIX -D_ICU_ -I. -I.
> -I.. -I../include -g -O0 -Werror -c ../src/modules/common/rawstr.cpp
> -Wp,-MD,.deps/rawstr.TPlo
> cc1plus: warnings being treated as errors
> ../src/modules/common/rawstr.cpp: In method `void RawStr::settext(const
> char *, const char *, long int = -1)':
> ../src/modules/common/rawstr.cpp:417: warning: comparison is always true
> due to limited range of data type
> ../src/modules/common/rawstr.cpp:499: confused by earlier errors,
> bailing out
> make[2]: *** [rawstr.lo] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/TARS/sword/lib'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/TARS/sword'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

The warning seems to be the comparision char errorStatus != -2.
It seems that on PPC there are other data ranges of the char type. Confusing.
Please post this error on the Sword devel list if it still doesn't work with
Sword's current CVS.

> have the ICU libraries installed and enabled when I first compiled
> sword-1.5.3., but Joachim Ansorg tells me that I do not need ICU
> installed for unicode support, only for transliteration, although I
> thought that Troy Griffitts told me that I needed to have ICU installed
> to compile Sword.  I would appreciate any help and clarification with
> this also.

You do not need ICU to work with unicode modules. Unicode is managed by Qt 3
in BibleTime. Qt 3 has excellent Unicode support (RTL rendering etc.).
You need ICU to get the transliteration option in the Bible windows of
BibleTime.

Joachim