[bt-devel] Difficulties with Sword and BibleTime compilations

Fred Saalbach bt-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 04:54:54 -0400

I am not sure what the compiler errors indicate.  the particular
combination of gcc, qt bibletime and sword seem to not like each other.
The second arrangement you posted seems to have failed

> P. S. I finally succeded in compiling BibleTime-1.2.1, and also the
> latest cvs sources with the sword libs without icu support, but when I
> even try to set the Unicode Font from the BT preferences or open any of
> the unicode-based modules, my whole system freezes, which is very
> annoying.  I suspect that this may be due to the fact that I did not
> have the ICU libraries installed and enabled when I first compiled
> sword-1.5.3., but Joachim Ansorg tells me that I do not need ICU
> installed for unicode support, only for transliteration, although I
> thought that Troy Griffitts told me that I needed to have ICU installed
> to compile Sword.  I would appreciate any help and clarification with
> this also.

Usually if any thing is missing that is really a depend, the compiler
fails to finish with some sort of error that indicates something is
missing.   If the system freezes you have probably found a bug in the
code.  It is possible that you might be able to tweak configure to get
around this.  Try the configure options

Optional Packages:
  --with-PACKAGE[=ARG]    use PACKAGE [ARG=yes]
  --without-PACKAGE       do not use PACKAGE (same as --with-PACKAGE=no)