[bt-devel] A retraction and a prayer request

Fred Saalbach bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 20:32:13 -0400

I thank God for brothers like Holger that are willing to offer reproof.

A few days ago I offered up a message that described the conflict that
is being drawn between the US and terrorist groups in terms that might
be interpreted that I believe that the US is absolutely right and is
making a Christian response.  This was not my intent, I only meant to
indicate that the country was experiencing stress and turbulence that
has not been seen in a long time, and that this has caused some people
to open their eyes to the possibility that the Lord has something to say
to them.  I am sure that many of us will debate what response we can and
should make as Christians to an act of terrorism.  However without a
doubt I can say that regardless of other actions, prayer is certainly
appropriate.

After pondering Holgers message I am offering a prayer request.  I think
these are valid requests for my country, and also for yours.

Pray that the we will be delivered from a spirit of revenge.
Vengeance belongs to the Lord alone to use as he wills.
Psalms 94:1 (King James Version of 1611 w/ Strongs Numbers)
LORD God, to whom vengeance belongeth; O God, to whom vengeance
belongeth, shew  thyself.

Pray that the Lord of the Harvest will send laborers into the fields.
Luke 10:2 (King James Version of 1611 w/ Strongs Numbers)
Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the
labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he
would send forth labourers into his harvest.

Pray for the terrorists, Jesus died for them too.  We know that they are
deceived, and that the Lord can deliver them as he has us.
Matthew 5:44 (King James Version of 1611 w/ Strongs Numbers)
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do
good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use
you, and persecute you;

Pray for the leaders of your country.
I Timothy 2:1-2 (King James Version of 1611 w/ Strongs Numbers)
I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers,
intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet
and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem.
Psalms 122:6 (King James Version of 1611 w/ Strongs Numbers)
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee.

There are many other things that I could say, but I will say only that
it is my strong desire to be one of the Living God's laborers, whatever
the cost, and wherever it takes me.  I pray that the Lord will give me
His strength to do this as mine is wholly inadequate.

Fred Saalbach

--
II Chronicles 7:14 (The Webster Bible)
If my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Luther Bible
Und mein Volk sich demütigt, das nach meinem Namen genannt ist, daß sie beten und mein Angesicht suchen und sich von ihren bösen Wegen bekehren werden: so will ich vom Himmel hören und ihre Sünde vergeben und ihr Land heilen.

Spanish Reina-Valera Bible
Si se humillare mi pueblo, sobre los cuales ni nombre es invocado, y oraren, y buscaren mi rostro, y se convirtieren de sus malos caminos; entonces yo oiré desde los cielos, y perdonaré sus pecados, y sanaré su tierra.