[bt-devel] Documentation again

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 15:40:06 +0100

On Friday, 23. November 2001 14:27, you wrote:
> Hi Fred,
>
> > Are we going to be stuck with only one entry point for the
> > documentation?
>
> Joachim? If this were the case we'd have to create a index file for each
> language. But having several entries would be much better.

Hm, normally the patch to the documentation of an application is given in the
.desktop file (bibletime.desktop). I'll have to ask some people if multiple
points are possible.
If it's not possible we have to think about another solution.

> > Is the only form the help dialog is needed XML?
>
> I guess so. We can (somehow?) access the html rendered pages using the
> help:/ ioslave. Joachim correct me if I am wrong here.

Yes, I think that using the help:/ protocoll makes it possible to display
HTML pages. But this is probably only possible for the KHTML widget.

> > I think having the html files in the CVS is useful from the standpoint
> > of being able to view them with a browser.  I am going to leave them in
> > until there is consensus on the issue,
>
> I agree. Lets keep them and still have the ability to view the docs online.

Hm. Sure, keeping the HTML is useful. But we shouldn't forget about file
sized. The doc folder is around 10 MB on my side. This is much too big! We
can't force all users to download a .tar.gz file of several megs!

But I'm not sure what to do, too.

> I am still not sure what to do with the images. We could either have
> english or thanslated images in each dir, or we could copy the english
> images into each language's dir on installing and let them be overwritten
> by the localized images, if there are some. In this case the online docs
> would be broken.

I'm for translated images. If there are not translated images the install
script should see which ones are missing and creates symlinks to the english
ones.

Joachim