[bt-devel] Documents status

Fred Saalbach bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 18:21:56 -0500

Martin Gruner wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>
> > copy the .pot to the desired directory and change the .pot to .po, there
> > is no difference until the translator starts to work on it.  I have not
> > tried to get kbable to create the .po from the .pot files, but I think
> > this is one of it's features.
>
> I guess so. Otherwise the files would always be overwritten -- which we would
> definitely not want.
>
> > > I want the "make handbook" command to create html and maybe a make po
> > > command to update for the translators. Therefore I need these commands.
>
> After reading your insightful hints I decided not to include these in the
> Makefile system. Only the translators are going to use them. It may be
> necessary to create a help page at sourceforge describing the exact
> translation process step-by-step.

OK, I can put together a short version.  The i18n Translation HowTo has
very explicit instructions.  The how to implies the directions are
available in other languages as well.  I need to look at the i18n site
to figure out where the other versions are.

> > Unnecessary is probably a matter of opinion here.  As we have been
> > linking the cvs document files to the sourceforge documentation, I thing
> > these files need to contain the /common directory unless one of the
> > programmers knows how to create a relative symbolic link in there place.
>
> I was not talking about the common directories. Please keep them! Displaying
> the handbook via sf webcvs gateway works just fine.
> But imo you could remove directories and files of the old help system such as
> HTML and docbook_xml if you don't need them any more. The Makefile system
> does not require them any more.

I think I did this sunday night.  If they are still there I will remove
then shortly.

> > All of the existing picture files were copied and placed in the proper
> > directory after replacing all of the _ with -.  I did not put pictures
> > here unless they were customized for the target language.
>
> That is another issue. What should happen if a language does not have
> pictures? Should the english pictures be copied into this language's
> directory when installing or will it work anyway?

This is how the existing version handels languages without pictures.

> And will the webcvs also
> work for html files without images?

It should work OK, however the common files are still needed for the
header and footer to line up properly.

> Maybe we should just copy all of the
> english images into every language's directory and let the translators
> customize them if they want?

In the existing program the picture files were left empty in the cvs if
they were not issued for a language.  Jochim had the make copy the
pictures to directories having none at installation (to save bandwith?)
Either method will work.

> Symlinks won't work in cvs imo.
>
> Martin

Fred