[bt-devel] problem building BT and sword

Tim Brodie bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 08 Nov 2001 19:57:18 -0500

Mark Lybarger wrote:

> yes very helpfull. i've been wanting to try mandrake as a desktop too se
> how it differs.  i tried a debian install once, and it didn't auto-setup
> my NIC, so i dumped it.  as soon as i get a chance to d/l the iso's i'll
> give Mandrake a shot.  From what I recall, there's an 8.1 version.  Are
> there any known conflicts with this version? I'de rather go with the
> latest and greatest.

The only conflict I've found is with VmWare; we use it to run a couple
of legacy apps.  The release (we're licensed with) will only run on
8.0 because they install kernel extensions.

I have 8.1 installed on a twin PIII/550 at home, which is where I've
been working developing a KDE app for the company (using KDevelop 2.01).
Very polished distribution, although some critics have said it's not up
to Mandrake's usual quality standard. So far I would disagree.

> from what i can tell, the 2.96 gcc compiler is actually more "standards"
> compliant than the 2.95 released by the gnu folks.  most folks are only
> still shying away from 3.0.1 is because of the problems with multiple
> inhertiance (thus it can't build kde).

I'm afraid I can't speak to this point too well.

Hopefully my personal situation will change soon and I'll be able to
contribute a little to the project.

Regards...

--
Tim Brodie