[bt-devel] problem building BT and sword

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 11:19:15 +0100

> Is anyone else running RH 7.1? (now would be a perfect time for me to
> try another distro :) ) or gcc 2.96?  I've heard that the compiler from
> RH has some issues, though I've never noticed any problems compiling
> anything until now.  Kernels, X11, etc...I was even compiling Bibletime
> perfectly until a cvs update about a week ago.
>
> The below error message is from the bibletime build after I build and
> installed sword using "buildshare := yes".  I am able to build/install
> sword just fine as long as I set the buildshare to yes, otherwise I get
> all sorts of errors related to "undefined reference to stricmp" and
> "undefined refrence to strnicmp", "undefined reference to stdstr", etc.

I think the problems are related to your distro. Setting builshare to "no"
reveals that the linker is unable to link in (parts of) the standard
libraries that are installed on your system. I suggest you use
"buildshare := no" to dig for the errors, and when the static lib builds fine
you should go and see if the overload error is still there.
Maybe you can find some info about known issues with redhat 7.1 and gcc/make?

Martin