[bt-devel] Installmgr (was: Re: font)

Brook Humphrey bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 20 May 2001 06:38:31 -0700

On Sunday 20 May 2001 05:57 am, you wrote:
> > I don't think that when an install manager is available that
> > installation by RPM is necessary.  If we offer this the rpm's and the
> > install manager need to put the module files in the same place.  That is
> > not the case now (with the one RPM i looked at).
>
> I agree. Rpms are no longer necessary with a well working installmgr, and
> could even cause trouble. (using rpms and installmgr may result in
> corrupted rpm databases)

Not that I wan't them I have started work on a new batch of rpm's but this
installer would save allot of time.

> > Iw would actually work just as well if the entire
> > sword/installmgr/bibletime package could be installed from a single RPM,
> > but only including the parts of sword that we actually use.  Then the
> > KDE intigration could install a menue item somthing like:
> >
> > K>Applications>Biblestudy>bibletime
> > K>Applications>Biblestudy>installmgr
>
> The main question is now in which direction we are going to go with the
> installmgr.
> Should we
> 1.) develop the existing gtk based version
> 2.) create a kde/qt based application?

the gtk one works well but I like qt more. It seems more stable and usable.

> If 2), then should we integrate it into bibletime (easier to maintain and
> translate) or create a separate app?
> Please post your opinions!

integrated would be nice. But it needs to be done in such a way as to:
1.) have root access to install the modules or
2.) install them in the users home directory. I do believe this should be the
default for at least the personal commentary. Maybe even setup bibletime the
first time it is run to automaticaly install the personal commentary in the
home directory if it is not there. This wouls save allot of other problems on
a multiuser system.

--

                                       Brook Humphrey

                                 Holliness unto the Lord