[bt-devel] Installmgr (was: Re: font)

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 20 May 2001 14:57:49 +0200

> I don't think that when an install manager is available that
> installation by RPM is necessary.  If we offer this the rpm's and the
> install manager need to put the module files in the same place.  That is
> not the case now (with the one RPM i looked at).

I agree. Rpms are no longer necessary with a well working installmgr, and
could even cause trouble. (using rpms and installmgr may result in corrupted
rpm databases)

> Iw would actually work just as well if the entire
> sword/installmgr/bibletime package could be installed from a single RPM,
> but only including the parts of sword that we actually use.  Then the
> KDE intigration could install a menue item somthing like:
>
> K>Applications>Biblestudy>bibletime
> K>Applications>Biblestudy>installmgr

The main question is now in which direction we are going to go with the
installmgr.
Should we
1.) develop the existing gtk based version
2.) create a kde/qt based application?

If 2), then should we integrate it into bibletime (easier to maintain and
translate) or create a separate app?
Please post your opinions!

My vote:
We should create a kde based app and include it in bibletime, maybe as a
dialogue. But there should be the option to execute _only_ this dialog, maybe
via commandline argument (e.g. bibletime --install-only). Static builds would
make this available for non-kde environments.

Martin