[bt-devel] Fonts?

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 14 May 2001 16:29:24 +0200

Hi!

> Can anyone give direction to me as to a font set to support the viewing
> of the greek texts?  I understand that there are various language
> texts that sword supports (such as Swahili (sp?)).

In the directory ftp://ftp.crosswire.org/pub/sword/iso/latest/FONTS/ you'll
find some fonmts like milangreek or bstgreek.
We use the normal X11 system to display the fonts, so it's on your side if
you use X11 3.3 with FreeType or X11 4.x with already builtlin support for
TrueType fonts.

> Since BibleTime is the presenter of these text(s) do we make
> recommendations as to where/how these fonts are to be retrieved and
> installed?  I presume that we are using freetype as the font engine.  I
> know that anyone can go to various font sites and retrieve a font.  [The
> issue is more one of having a fairly unsophisticated user that just wants
> to get BibleTime working and is looking for a recommendation.]

At the moment fonts are a huge problem. Qt has a strange limitation with
fonts because it uses Unicode internally. So it's hard to get fonts working.

Install the fonts in the normal way (for Type1  fonts use Type1Inst and for
TrueType fonts  use the standard command line utility ttmkfdir).
The open fonts.dir and fonts.scale and change to charsets ascii-0 (at the end
of the lines) to your local charset (e.g. iso8859-1). Displaying fonts shuld
work then.
Choose the fonts which should be used for each module in the optionsdialog.

Joachim