[bt-devel] Missing bt-printing

Tim Brodie bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 13 May 2001 17:04:26 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Kujawa" <christopher.kujawa@verizon.net>
To: <bt-devel@crosswire.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2001 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: [bt-devel] Missing bt-printing

> Tim:
>
> >If our objective is to ensure a painless installation, we need to be able
> >articulate what those things are, don't you agree?
>
> I agree.  I guess I have just gotten used to the fact that I often have to
> figure out which 3/4 of my system packages upgrade in order to install new
> software.

My background includes building software for completely computer inept
people.
Although I believe that the Linux approach of requiring some knowledge in
the end user is correct, my perspective is one of facilitating an over-
worked sysadmin.  Even a simple table listing packages and release
requirements would be fabulous.

> > I also needed to upgrade my rpm package from v3.0.4(also a dangerous
> > process; I lost my package database and had to rebuild it) in order to
> > even try to install the binary distribution(s).
>
> I know what you mean.  When I upgraded KDE, my system locked up to the
point
> where I couldn't even ssh in to shut it down.  Power cycling (*OUCH!*)
kindly
> corrupted my mbr:(
>
> > I'm going to assume that I need to move from XFree 4.0.1 to 4.0.3 on my
> > rh7 box today to get the libXrender and libXft libraries, and take your
> > advice to upgrade the libstdc++ as well.  Also, another post alludes to
> > the broken compiler in rh7.  If this is a problem to BibleTime, then
> > should we say so in the documentation?  Risking being pendantic again,
> > but should the documentation for developers state what compiler version
> > most are developing on?  GCC v2.95.2 if 2.96 is broken?
>
> The compiler was listed as a RH problem a while ago on their site.   They
> have posted a fix for both the compiler and the libraries on their site as
> well.  I would agree that it might be good to list it in the install docs,
or
> even in a FAQ, like the developers of QCAD have done.   Perhaps I can add
> that in somewhere, if anyone has any suggestions?

What I'm seeing now is that the mandrake rpm will load/run properly and
access the sword libraries.  The version I compile locally will not.
I get a "backend initialization error, please email the dev team") now.

So I guess I should grab redhat's updates since I'm probably 95% of the
way to rh7.1 on my box already!

Tim