[bt-devel] Missing bt-printing

Tim Brodie bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 12 May 2001 09:36:01 -0400

Hi Chris:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Kujawa" <christopher.kujawa@verizon.net>
To: <bt-devel@crosswire.org>
Subject: RE: [bt-devel] Missing bt-printing

> I did both the binary distro and compiled and saw only minor problems when
> doing either one.  Of course, the first thing I do when I am done loading
> any distribution (the last one just happened to be RedHat 7.0) is add in a
> plethora of libraries that I know I will need.  I don't know what you have
> running on your system, but I know that I just recently loaded
> libstdc++-c6.0-95 and updated Xfree86 (please don't quote me on either
one,
> I am in window$ right now, and it was very late after a long day.  I
usually
> use www.rpmfind.net to find which packages contain missing libraries,
etc.)

Yes this is helpful.  What I'm trying to get a handle on is what packages
BibleTime is *really* dependent on to operate.  If our objective is to
ensure
a painless installation, we need to be able to articulate what those things
are, don't you agree?

It's good that I'm coming in as a complete 'greenhorn' for the Beta1.0
release; that is, my platform(s) are out-of-the-box common distributions
(rh6.2 & 7.0).  As a potential end-user, I have installed the listed
prerequisites and the binaries won't install (seems to need XFree86-4
libraries whereas KDE2 will operate just fine at v3.3.6) nor will the
compiled source operate properly.

I also needed to upgrade my rpm package from v3.0.4(also a dangerous
process; I lost my package database and had to rebuild it) in order to
even try to install the binary distribution(s).

I don't mean to add workload to anyone; I'm coming in kind of blind here.
My comments may be even a little pendantic... I don't mean to offend.
Just trying to ramp up my understanding as quickly as I can.

I'm going to assume that I need to move from XFree 4.0.1 to 4.0.3 on my
rh7 box today to get the libXrender and libXft libraries, and take your
advice to upgrade the libstdc++ as well.  Also, another post alludes to
the broken compiler in rh7.  If this is a problem to BibleTime, then
should we say so in the documentation?  Risking being pendantic again,
but should the documentation for developers state what compiler version
most are developing on?  GCC v2.95.2 if 2.96 is broken?

Or is the issue that you are trying to maintain some measure of platform
independence without having to document?  Or is the issue just that there
is not enough help to do all this?  :-)

BTW, although setting the --debug flag on gives some messages, none are
forthcoming when my CPU loops at 98% utilization when trying to open
a bible text.  So I still suspect that this problem occurs during
a call to a support library.

[Idea for the BibleTime distribution CD...]
Should we make a bootable CD that has an operable KDE2 with just BibleTime
installed for demonstration purposes (say with a couple of text and
commentaries)?  Thus we could demonstrate the product to people who don't
even have Linux installed.

I have a cd burner, and have looked at the process of creating bootable
cds for work related requirements.  Or has this already been done on the
current cd (I don't have a copy of it).

How about posting the iso image of the cd at www.bibletime.de?

What do you think, worth recording as a post 1.0 task?

Tim