[bt-devel] again: Font problems

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 1 May 2001 20:32:38 +0200

> > > Qt does refuse now to use fonts which have a wrong charset set, but
> > > this was possible in earlier releases.
> > > It works everywhere else because the others do not use greek or hebrew
> > > fonts.

What means "wrong charset"?
Qt does not know which charset encoding we want.

> > What does that mean that a font has a wrong charset set? I don't know
> > much about these kind of issues. Could you explain more detailed?
> > If it's a problem with the fonts then we'll just correct it and give the
> > updated fonts into the repository. Is that possible?
>
> A normal greek font should have the charset iso8859-7, which is the charset
> for Greece.
> But all the fonts we have were made using the charset iso8859-1, which is
> our latin1. The greek characters are mapped to characters of latin1
> (pressing a gives alpha, b->beta etc.).
>
> I'm not usre why changing the charset in the config files gives greek
> again, but obviously this is a problem with the fonts. They use wrong
> charsets (should be 8859-7), so this is probably the reason.

The bstgreek and bsthebrew files use 8859-0(not sure this is the correct
name, xfontsel says encoding 0).
Why will the text not display correctly? The text in the display window uses
even another font. Why does qt not use the bstgreek font with the 8859-0
encoding?
We don't even need fonts with the 8859-7 encoding since the encoding of the
modules is 8859-0 or 8859-1.

Martin