[bt-devel] Important language questions

Fred Saalbach bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 22:59:43 -0500

Joachim Ansorg wrote:

> Hi Fred!
>
> Thank you very much for your answer!
>
> > > 1. New term for "Presenter" (Biblepresenter, Commentarypresenter,
> > > Lexiconpresenter)
> >
> > This could be called an interactive document window.
>
> Are there different terms for the windows containing Bibles, commentaries and
> lexicons?

I don't think there need to be, as all are presenting documents.  remember in
the future these could also include pictures, sound or watever sword adds to the
module base.

> > > 2. New term for "Groupmanager"
> >
> > Document Index
>
> Is this really fitting?
> The groupmanager has groups, bookmarks and modules.
>
> But if "Document index" is fitting for these three types I'm glad for your
> new term.

I will admit that calling a bookmark a document is a bit of a stretch,  but a
group is as assembly of documents (in the O'Reily book on docbook this is called
a document set).  The only modules available now are text documents.  In the
future other things may be added - here there seems to be some confusion as to
what to call a mixed media document, so I think we can do what seems most
inntuitive for the user.

If you use the term "Group Manager", in the english version it should be
formated as two words with both capitalized.

> > > 3. If it's not fitting a new term for "Searchdialog"
> >
> > Search Dialog is fine.
>
> Ok.
>
> > > 4. How do you call a verse of the BibleTime ? (Do you call it Key?)
> > > 5. How do you call an entry of a lexicon ? (Do you call it Key?)
> > > 6. How do you call a verse or entry of a commentyr of the BibleTime ? (Do
> > > you call it Key?)
> >
> > Key is fine for verse and entry identification numbers (what we usually
> > call verse  numbers) for all of the above as long as we define it in the
> > documentation.
>
> Ok, I think we should use Key  and sometimes versenumber.
>
> > > 7. How do you call a verse with text (key with text?? )? The same
> > > question for
> > >
> > > lexicon and commentary again.
> >
> > I probably would not use this phrase when writing as what we are talking
> > about is a verse number (or key) which identifies a section of text.
>
> But how should I say in a menu to print the kex with it's text (e.g. in the
> searchdialog) ??

I think you are referring to the "Search Result".  I think it is clear as is,
and does not need any more detail.  The only thing I would change here is that
"Found entries:" should be changed to "Entries found"

Some more detail is needed in the manual, but not here.

> > > 8. Another better term for "key chooser" (for Bibles, commentaries and
> > > lexicons)
> >
> > If the identifying number is called a key, then "key chooser" is OK
>
> Ok, let's use "key chooser".
>
> Joachim
> --
> Joachim Ansorg
> BibleTime - www.bibletime.de - info@bibletime.de
> BibleTime is an easy to use Bible study tool for KDE / Linux.

Martin's instructions on printing work.  Thanks.

Feature request.
Make a preference for printing to specific paper size for example A4 or Letter.
This is not a problem for anyone but me (i think that the US and Canada are the
only places still using 8.5 inch by 11 inch paper) so it need not hold up 1.0
It might even be a KDE thing that we would want KDE to fix.

--
Best Regards
Fred Saalbach