[bt-devel] 1.1 issues

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 11:42:25 +0200

Hi Martin!

> Yesterday I played around with the new cool unicode
> modules by Chris. I downloaded and installed code2000.

I have Arial Unicode MS and .

> Before starting BT, X consumed 23MB.
> Then I started BT, set the displayer font to code2000,
> and opened just a normal english module.
> Then X was blocking for quite a while (apparently loading
> code2000), very annouing. Then BT consumed 19MB and X
> consumed around 86MB!!! This is too much and too slow for me ;(
> After closing BT, things were back normal again.

Buy a new PC with more than 1.5 GigaHz. As you knwo BibleTime's requirements
are a PC with more than 1 GHz :)
Being serious now...
I know it's really slow and annoying. On my PC, too.
As you knwo Unicode has thousands of characters. If all of these characters
are loaded into memory this slows down your PC. It's a problem of X11.
Windows has the same problem, I believe.

> Is this an X or QT related problem? Will QT3 bring speedups in
> this area? Or should I use another font? Any help appreciated...

Unicode MS is the biggest font I have ever seen (23 MB TrueType file). I
think choosing another font will not help you very much.
Qt3 may bring speedups because you can select different fonts for the
different charmaps to build a complete Unicode font. But for this we need
fonts which support only one part of the Unicode range. We do not have them.

I think Qt3's speed improvements for unicode fonts will not be really much.

The font problem is now the size and memory usage.
Joachim