[bt-devel] ideas

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:02:14 +0100

Hi everybody!

> > I thought there should be a button on the presenter toolbar (a combobox)
> > where you can set the _current module_ (and change it!). Then there could
> > be another button on the right of the 1st combobox like ("add module" or
> > just ">"). If you click this button, another combobox will be added where
> > you can set the _second_ module that will be displayed in parallel with
> > the first one. It should also be possible to remove the last combobox
> > again. Did you understand this?
>
> Another idea would to add a new popup menu at the right side of the
> keychooser of the module.
> In this poup you can choose the modules you want to have additionally in
> the presenter (select them using checkable items in the menu).
> IMHO there's no need to change the origional module of a presenter.
> Is this good or bad?

Thats how it is done in Bibleworkshop. But I'd rather have it the way I
suggested, because you can access things much easier and quicker (I prefer
comboboxes to popups at this point). And I'd also like to be able to change
the "original" module -- why should there be one? There is a "first" module,
a "second" one and so on... This way will enable the users to quickly change
the used translation which is rather complicated otherwise. And for example
the groupmanager would not have to check whether a module ist already
"presented" -- it will just open up a new presenter if you click a module.
Always using the groupmanager is rather complicated, but possible.

> Some thing like in BibleWorks, right?

Exactly. That makes working fun; they have modules that are somehow coded so
when you move the cursor over a word in the bible, a lexicon window will
display the greek or hebrew word, translations etc.
It might not be possible and useful to have lexicons displayed in parallel --
maybe only if they have the same key list (like strong's lexicons)?
It would be a beginning for us.

> Should the lexicon presenters have a button where you can toggle into the
> "syncronize mode"?

Yes. Maybe users will not want a presenter synchronized.

> Every presenter which syncronizes would display the word nder the mouse
> cursor, is this your idea?

Yes, but only if it is available in his key list.

> One thing about syncronitzinhg modules:
>
> Should the other presenters scroll if you scroll the first?
> Or should they just chnage their current key if the first changes it
> current key?

I'd suggest they will not scroll. Where the modules are displayed in parallel
in one presenter (html table), they will automatically scroll in the correct
way. Presenters that are synchronized will only synchronize their current
keys.

> > _Maybe_ the presenters should get names (or just numbers). Then we could
> > have a button "synchronize with..." and select the desired presenter. We
> > should hava some object handling this (what happens if you delete
> > presenters?).

Forget this. It is not necessary. IMO one synchronization is enough: that
means every presenter will have a button "synchronize". If it is clicked, the
presenter will synchronize to other presenters with this button clicked;
lexicon presenters will synchronize to the word under the cursor. That seems
pretty easy, doesn't it?

What do all of you say?

Martin