[bt-devel] Re: [sword-devel] InstallMgr

Chris Kujawa bt-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 12:10:24 -0500

>> Why?  If you're interested in hiding the content of the transfers
>> because of government persecution of Christians in some countries, I
>> think the US has cryptographic export restrictions for most of those
>> same countries.

>That's true, however the rules were loosened up somewhat recently.  It
>will probably take a lawyer to figure out what is allowed.  Just an
>idea.

This is true of 128 bit encryption methods like 3-DES.  As far as I know,
the
rules were loosened up to allow businesses to export 128-bit VPN clients to
their
over-seas offices.  Of course, I am not a lawyer, and I have not worked with
encryption utilitities for a couple of years, but...

The ultimate solution is to do as was done with the ssh plugin for Tera
Term, and that's
develope the code elsewhere.  But, why would you hide the transmission of
Bible texts, etc?

Chris Kujawa