[bt-devel] Documentation - Installation

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 15:16:24 +0100

> I know nothing about how make / auto make works.  I presume that the
> make files are regerated every time configure runs.  What generates the
> files that make is tripping up on?

I don't really know a lot either.
The admin/ directory contains a whole bunch of automake/autoconf related
files which are specialized for KDE.
Now make -f Makefile.cvs creates all the Makefile.in's (from the
Makefile.am's) and configure. That would be the automake part. Then running
configure will use your Makefile.in's (contain a lot of placeholders) and
insert your system specific values. E.g. KDEDIR=/usr.

> I could try updating automake, autoconf and make from the mandrake
> cooker, that would get me to automake 1.4, and autoconf 2.5 (if they
> work).  Do you think I should try this?

Since some users might be using your versions it would be most nice to find
out why it doesn't work. Even in the packages you still have to run
configure, which might not work.
What puzzles me is that the main bibletime module works for you, but the
bibletime-doc won't. This is probably where you should take a look. The
configure.in.in file is the most central place here. I modified it a bit for
the new needs -- probably the solution is here. Maybe I commented out
something the older automake/autoconf system needs?
Maybe you can look into this a little, and if you don't get it running you
could probably seek help from other mandrake users/developers?

Hope this helps,

Martin