[bt-devel] Documentation - en/installation

Fred Saalbach bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 02 Dec 2001 14:15:54 -0500

Martin Gruner wrote:

> > I shall now remove unnecessary documentation at sourceforge.
>
> What shall we do with the FEATURES document at sourceforge? Is it necessary
> to cover all BibleTime versions, or would the latest one be enough? Should we
> leave it at sourceforge, or move it to cvs too? It is imo more user-related
> than delevoper-related.
>
> Martin

We could do the features document either explaining the features of all
versions, or only of the latest one.  I expect that as time goes on,
there will be less demand for the older versions, but the old versions
will continue to be useful to some for a while.  at some point I expect
that the older versions will not support all documents at crosswire.
For example as the early versions probably did not support unicode.  If
we cover all versions of BT in the FEATURES document, we should also say
somthing about module compatibility.

The features document can be moved into the handbook in the cvs.

Or if you think it more approperate, we could create additional cvs
trees for stuff like this.  You might want to look at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/docbook for a possibility.  I don't
think I am up to creating our own cascading style sheet for a cvs based
website, but some of the features might be useful.

If more cvs trees are added to the repository, please add a
$CVSROOT/modules file to the cvs tree (see chapter 1.3 of the cervsia
manual).  This would make it possible for cervisia to fetch a list of
modules.

> > I shall now remove unnecessary documentation at sourceforge.
>
> Fred, the imo only missing section from sf is the section on installmgr, the
> others are already in the handbook and therefore I removed them.
>
> Could you please move it from sf to cvs and then delete the sf document?

OK, I missunderstood some earlier discussion that the installmgr
information did not belong in our documentation, but in the sword
documentation.  I will post it to the cvs.  This might take a few days.

> Hey Fred,
>
> now my comments on the current english HTML files.
> First of all, let me say that I really appreciate your work. The
> handbook(referring to all files, not only in handbook dir) is awesome and
> makes a very professional impression.

Thankyou

> I just changed some things on my own. Please take a look and see if you like
> it and it conforms to your standards. I basically corrected the name to
> BibleTime, erased the section Installation of prerequisite programs and
> static binary installation, and did some small spell and content fixes.
>
> I did not check the howto, and maybe not all html files were up to date (esp.
> in the install section).

I will go through all of the documents amd make sure that "BibleTime"
and
"Sword" are used.  I probably should define both of these as entities so
that the kbable won't try to translate them.

I will update my copy of the cvs today and start working from that.