[bt-devel] OSIS Call For Use Cases

bt-devel@crosswire.org bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 02:21:08 -0700

As most of you know, we've been working closely with ABS, SBL, SIL, and
others to develop a new Biblical text markup language.  The initiative
is called OSIS and you can read about it at:
http://www.bibletechnologies.org

Well, the time has come for us to discover all of the needs that this
new markup language will meet.  We would love to have each of you
participate in this effort.  We've divided up domains into 8 categories
and created working groups for each.  There may be more in the future,
but please, first attempt to categorize your use case into one of these
groups.

Patrick Durusau from SBL has written a draft of a use case tutor and
template that I've attached to the end of this message.

Please browse the information at: http://www.bibletechnologies.org
Review the (moderately light, thus far) traffic on the working groups'
newsgroups by following directions at:
http://www.bibletechnologieswg.org (note slightly different link).
Read through the tutor below.

And if you've gotten this far :) we'd love to hear your wish-lists!

We're meeting in 2 weeks to review all of the submissions, so please get
yours in before then.  Please post them to the public newsgroup to which
they relate, or to this list and I will be sure they are included in the
review stack.

THANK YOU for your participation, in advance!  Let's show our support
for the effort.  It is great for these organizations, and others, to
work toward a common markup shared for all of their texts!

	Christ Rules!,
		-Troy.

____________________________________

Use Case Tutor and Template:
___________

Note that I start with an example template with instructions, then the
bare template and then use that template to cover what may seem like the
same use case, twice. It is not since I use two different primary
actors, who have different goals and requirements (particularly once you
get to more details in the use cases).

*****OSIS Use Case Template*****

Primary reference for all the following reflections is Alaisdair
Cockburn, Writing Effective Use Cases, Addison-Wesley, ISBN:
0-201-70225-8. This is not an endorsement of Cockburn's book over
another than may be your favorite. I have found it useful and have not
attempted a comparison with other works on this topic. Needless to say,
Cockburn is not responsible for any mistakes, mis-interpretations or
other poor use of his materials in these postings.
I suggest the following form (it will get more detailed later this month
(August, 2001) for preliminary use cases:

Primary Actor: Student writing a research paper.
The who question. All use cases must start with a particular actor in
mind. This helps focus the use case into something manageable.
In my example: Student writing a research paper. (Has different goals
and requirements from bible society, publisher, software vendor,
scholar.)

Scope: Scriptural references in a student research paper by verse to the
KJV of the NT text.

How I got there:
The use case under consideration. Needs to be fairly narrow. Later
analysis can combine use cases but too broad a use cases at the
beginning means we will (not if, will) miss use cases that will be
important later on.
Example 1: If my use case were "all references that may occur in any
type of literature, to be automatically available", it would be very
difficult to know where to start in terms of describing a set of
requirements, much less undertaking the research on such a question.
Example 1a: My use case is: "all biblical references that may occur in
any type of literature." (Not picking on the scriptural reference folks,
it happens to be of personal interest and something I know a little
about.) Still too broad to be useful.
Example 1b: My use case is: "all scritural references by verse to any
scriptural text." Better, note that we are now talking about scriptural
references (it assumes we know what it meant by that) to a scriptural
text (similar assumption here).
Example 1c: My use case is: "all scriptural references by verse to the
NT text." Better because we are getting closer to a manageable use case,
still way too broad.
Example 1d: My use case is: "all scriptural references by verse to the
KJV of the NT text." Only looks specific enough. Note that we don't yet
know where the references are being made. Too open ended.
Example 1e: My use case is: "Scriptural references in a student research
paper by verse to the KJV of the NT text." This is as far as I want to
take this example, but it could be better worded in several places. Note
that even at this stage I am still assuming we know what is meant by a
"student research paper."
It should also be noted that I did not try to say how anything would be
done. After years of working in markup that is not easy! Please, ignore
what you know or think you know about SGML/XML or other mechanisms for
the use cases. Plenty of time for solutions once we understand the
problems.

Level: Summary (default at this level of analysis, will change later)
Stakeholders and Interests:
Who is affected? Who has an interest?
Student: Wants to cite biblical text. Just that or should it draw the
text into the paper? (probably a separate use case)
Professor: Wants to check citations? (a separate use case)
Note that I am (artificially) assuming only two parties to this
transaction. Wholly artificial.

Main Success Senario:
For our purposes I would suggest that this be simple prose about what
happens when it goes right. DO NOT attempt to break it down into steps
for encoding/processing, etc. That will simply cover up some of the
information we want to gain from the use cases.
Continuing with my example:
Student wants to cite Matthew 8:8 from the KJV in his paper and simply
have the citation present or have the text automatically inserted or
follow his professor's stylesheet or make it available on the web.
Success from his standpoint is insertion of the proper reference, all
the other is processing beyond his immediate concern (although of
concern to others).

Use Case Template: Your Use Cases should have the following headings
(simply prose following each one)