[bt-devel] help & doc

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:54:53 +0200

Hi,

> > just to let you know: the bibletime documentation that was formerly on
> > www.bibletime.de and parts of the docs in the cvs have been revised
> > slightly and moved to sourceforge.
>
> All the HTML pages are now generated from DocBook XML sheets.

I am not talking about the bibletime handbook which is in cvs.
Browse to www.bibletime.de and test the links in the "documentation" and
"development" sections. They will lead you to the documents I was referring
to.

> > You can look at it on your project site selecting
> > the documentation tab.
> > Why? There are 2 main advantages:
> >
> > #1 these documents can be easily changed by every project member who has
> > been granted acess to the documentation system - no longer only Joachim's
> > job. (Those of you who have acess, try the admin tab on the documentation
> > site)
> >
> > #2 _everybody_, even people who are not registered on sourceforge can
> > submit a new documentation page which they created. It will be put into
> > the database in "pending" state to be revised by one of the documentation
> > managers and can then be published.
>
> As the style is not controled by the writer, using DocBook should simplify
> translation somewhat.  If you want to submit pages in english I would
> prefer DocBookXML, but html and text are also OK.  If you post somthing to
> the database in the document section, please also post an announcement to
> the mail list so I don't miss it.

See above. The handbook remains as it is, under you command. ;)
Only the online documentation will be managed this way.

> > The cvs version of the bibletime
> > api doc and the handbook will be available also.

Now they are. I think it is pretty useful that those are links into the cvs
so nobody has to work on keeping them new. You find them on bibletime.de in
the sections mentioned above.

> This was only so I would not damage links in the program while I was
> figuring out how to use DocBook and CVS.  Now that things have stabelized
> we should make this change.  Should we do it now or wait until after 1.0 is
> released.

Just do it.

I see only

> BibleTime Documentation Package
> Table of Contents
>
> The Bibletime Handbook
> Bibletime Installation Guide
> Bibletime Help Dialog

in the main page, the howto is missing. Maybe this file wasn't rebuilt from
the docbook files?

> I think Bibletime is linked to the handbook.  This structure is a feature
> of Docbook.  Perhaps we should link bibletime to the top of the tree and to
> the handbook.

Yes, why not?
Thank you Fred for your work!

Martin