[bt-devel] help & doc

Fred Saalbach bt-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 20:31:52 -0400

Martin Gruner wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> just to let you know: the bibletime documentation that was formerly on
> www.bibletime.de and parts of the docs in the cvs have been revised slightly
> and moved to sourceforge.

All the HTML pages are now generated from DocBook XML sheets.

> You can look at it on your project site selecting
> the documentation tab.
> Why? There are 2 main advantages:
>
> #1 these documents can be easily changed by every project member who has been
> granted acess to the documentation system - no longer only Joachim's job.
> (Those of you who have acess, try the admin tab on the documentation site)
>
> #2 _everybody_, even people who are not registered on sourceforge can submit
> a new documentation page which they created. It will be put into the database
> in "pending" state to be revised by one of the documentation managers and can
> then be published.

As the style is not controled by the writer, using DocBook should simplify
translation somewhat.  If you want to submit pages in english I would prefer
DocBookXML, but html and text are also OK.  If you post somthing to the database
in the document section, please also post an announcement to the mail list so I
don't miss it.

> If you find errors in the pages, please correct them or let me know.
> The documentation pages on bibletime.de will soon be deleted and replaced by
> links to these sourceforge documents. The cvs version of the bibletime api
> doc and the handbook will be available also.
>
> Some proposals (Fred?):
> -The directory structure in bibletime/docs/en is not necessary. Could the
> bibletime/docs/en/helpdialog dir be deleted and the stuff from
> bibletime/docs/en/Documents be moved to bibletime/docs/en/ ?

This was only so I would not damage links in the program while I was figuring
out how to use DocBook and CVS.  Now that things have stabelized we should make
this change.  Should we do it now or wait until after 1.0 is released.

> -The bible study howto (which is pretty good) should be included in the
> handbook startpage.

The top of the document tree looks like this:

BibleTime Documentation Package
Table of Contents

The Bibletime Handbook
The Biblestudy HowTo
Bibletime Installation Guide
Bibletime Help Dialog

I think Bibletime is linked to the handbook.  This structure is a feature of
Docbook.  Perhaps we should link bibletime to the top of the tree and to the
handbook.

> HANDBOOK
> -1.1 changes should point to the sourceforge changes page(a FEATURES exists
> no longer)
> -1.2 set the link to the real bt sf project site
> (sourceforge.net/projects/bibletime)
> -2. start commang not Bibletime, but bibletime
> -3.2 image missing
> -3.3.3 autoscrolling was replaced by parallel display and commentary syncing
> -3.4.2.6 and 3.4.3.2 and 3.4.4 and 3.4.5 outdated images
> -3.5.1 and 3.5.2 cover context menus in search result, displayer (text and
> versenumber); chapter exporting; html/plaintext exporting
> -3.5.2 rewrite - new printing system
> -4.1.2 image missing
> (-4.2 add images?)
> -4.3 update hotkeys
>
> INSTALLATION GUIDE
> -2.1 correct header (version)
> -requires kde 2.x not 2.0
> -not sword 1.51a - new version (ask Joachim)
> -crosswire link name?
> -5.2.2 take the cvs instructions from the bt sf site
> -5.3 link location (too general)
>
> HELPDIALOG
> -4.3 link to the crosswire copyright site, not bibletime.de
>
> Martin

Thanks for the comments
Jocheim  do we know the version number for the next sword release?

--
Best Regards
Fred Saalbach