[bt-devel] Fwd: Re: SWORD

bt-devel@crosswire.org bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 17:31:56 GMT

Joachim Ansorg writes:

> Hi!

Hi Joachim!

The following is trimmed to the specific points I want to address.

> I'm wondering if we simply can't buy such a CD or ASCII text and implement
> support in SWORD for it or offer something like a converting CGI script on the
> web (Upload the module and get it back converted via eMail).
>
> Does somebody know if this is possible and legal?

I would be hesitant to say what is legal, but from my understanding of U.S.
fair use, it is acceptable to do virtually anything with items you
purchase, other than redistribute.  (I understand there are exceptions, but
for an ascii text, I believe it would apply).

For example, I can tape a CD onto cassette tape, I can video tape
television programs, I can mark up my books, etc...

I would think that converting text is anothert matter where this would be
seen in the same way, as long as it is for the person who owns the initial
product.

Uploading the data for processing crosses a line where I wouldn't want to
deal with the laws...  Because of this, I would suggest the development of
a program to convert texts from one format (the cheapest one available) and
convert it to another (GBF or Thml come to mind) and distribute it with
Sword or BibleTime.  Another option is to analyze the file, and create
modules to read the initial format...  This of course assumes that we don't
break any licensing issues by reverse engineering the software, perhaps it
could be done by analyzing the data.

I like your idea, but in my opinion, the uploading then downloading could
be seen as copyright infringement...

--
   Darwin Gregory

   Jesus is the way, the truth and the life.
   Evolution is a myth...