[bt-devel] port

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 17:16:40 +0000

Hi!

> Joachim,
>
> I am amazed. Was that the official decision?

No, not yet. But I think we should port. The major problem is the Qt license.
If we write pure Qt code everything should work fine, so we need only one
license. QFile and QLocalFS are pltform independant, so file system acces
should be easy, too,.

> That is really making me happy.
>
> Lets talk about this more detailed when we meet. :-))

Yes, my autumn holidays of school last from 30.9.200 until 15.10.200. In this
tie we should meet.

> You have good contacts to QT. Do you think that there is a realistic chance
> to ask them for a free or cheaper license of QT for this non-commercial
> app? Maybe they have understanding for us, they had a lot of understanding
> for KDE (GPL). But they want to make money also...
> Maybe you just ask?
> We need only one license.

I asked already on the mailing list and waiting for the answer.
Another possible solution would be to ask our users to spend $10 so we can
buy Qt. Doing it this way we need 200 users spending money.

> But let us finish 1.0 first. I will look at the stuff and maybe begin
> porting some libs (IMO KConfig is easy). After 1.0 the translation stuff
> will have to be changed. QT offers good tools for this purpose.
> We can use Cygwin environment for compiling and for the unix system calls
> (POSIX threads are supported in the current version - the version on CD is
> outdated). There is a compiler (gcc). : -))

Yes, we'll invest as little money as possible so we use the free tools we can
use.

> We have to think about the directory structure of bt in Windows and Unix.

As I said above, we should use QFile, QDir, QLocalFS etc.