[bt-devel] Thoughts about the Win port and misc things

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 00:04:13 +0000

Hi!

>From time to time I think the Windows port is not necessary any more.
Martin, you said Troys frontend is good. There are also so many other good
programs under Windows, why should we port?

Now I think people who want to use BibleTime should install Linux.
I know installation is difficult, I think if we do not port we should make a
easy to install and easy to use software package. I have to provide binary
packages etc.

At the moment I don't know what to do.
We have two solutions:
	-Provide packages for Win and Linux
	-Provide an easy to install package for Linux, BSD and Unix systems. Binares
for almost all systems

I think a stable, fast, easy to use Bible study tool for Linux and Unix
systems is better than a half-weight cross-plattform solution.

What do you think?

Other things:
At the moment I think about to get some domains (webspace, cgi, PHP3 + PHP4
...). I think this is good because we can then coordinate the work better
(emails for developers, we can do administration, we have logs, FTP access).
If I do it it would be also possible to have some .net, .com and .org
domains. Ideas?

I do also think about the several distirbutions of Linux. I think it's good
to buy some cheap versions of them so we can provide binary packages of
BibleTime for the different distributions.
Which plattforms are important in your opinion:
	[ ] 	RedHat 7.0
	[ ] 	RedHat 6.2
	[ ] 	SuSE 7.0
	[ ] 	SuSE 6.4
	[ ] 	Caldera 2.4
	[ ] 	Caldera 2.3
	[ ] 	FreeBSD 4.1
	[ ] 	FreeBSD 4.0
	[ ]	Mandrake 7.2
	[ ]	Mandrake 7.1
	[ ]	Debian 2.2
	[ ]	Debian 2.0
	[ ]	Cortel Linux 1.2
	[ ]	others (please give their names)

Please post your opinion, probably it's the opinion which shows me what to do
(port, binaries etc.).

--Joachim