[bt-devel] [Fwd: BorCon, Qt license]

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 01:15:02 +0000

Hi!

> I think a port would be good, but would that mean we would give up the KDE
> Support on the Linux(UNIX) platform as well.  If so, would that require

Yes, we would have to drop KDE support.

> much work, because all of our work now is going into 1.0 which is based on
> KDE. If we would not give up or KDE support on the Linux platform, would
> that create more work because instead of a recompile on Windows (with
> slight modifications)/ it would be totally different.  It would almost be
> like 2 products.  I don't know if my points are valid or not, but thats
> what going on in my mind.

If we use KDE on Linux ond Qt on Windows it would be twice the same work!
We would have to make the KDE solution to a Qt solution on Windows, ->we'd
have to port the KDE stuff to Qt.
If we use exactly the same sources for Linux and Windows it would be much
less work! And: If TrollTech ports Qt to another IS like Mac we have a new OS
where BibleTime works :)
Sure, porting is much work, but if we have it we have much less to do than
maintaining two products.

To be honest: I never developed Cross-plattform software, so I can only guess
:)

> BTW I would give $2.  I'm sure other people would too.

The $2 are based on ~350 users of BibleTime.
I have no idea how much they really are so we have to decide on the amount
later.

> --Reggie

Thank you for your eMail, Reggie!
--Joachim