[bt-devel] Newbie help please!

Thomas J. Philpot bt-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 03 May 2000 09:58:52 -0500

For starters, you might want to check out the KDE Developer's Tutorials on

http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/index.html

There's a tutorial on how to develop for KDE (with some small example) programs.
I suggest you start with Daniel Marjamaki's KDE tutorial, it talks about how to
compile on *nix (g++ for c++ programs, gcc for c).

Just off the top of my head, here are some useful commands

-o  filename  = renames the output file
-g            = enables debugging
-lfoo         = links the libfoo library to your code
-Iincludedir  = adds includedir to your include path
-Llibdir      = adds libdir to your linking path

You'll probably used these 90% of the time if you have to compile by hand.
With most big projects though, there are Makefiles distributed with the
program,  and all you have to do is something like ./configure;make;make
install to  get the program up and running.  Another peice of advice, get
familar with KDevelop.  It'll help you tremendously...

I'm going to study for finals now ;)   Two left...

Tom