[bt-devel] Graphical analysis

Thomas J. Philpot bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 07:53:29 -0600

On Mon, 06 Mar 2000, you wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Mär 2000 Joachim Ansorg wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm thinking about how to implement the graphical analysis.
> > Since it's possible to search more than one module it's more difficult to
> > present the search results.
> > How should they be displayed ? Multiple bars for each book (one bar for each
> > module) or somhow else?
>
> Sounds good to me. Should be sorted by book (not module) as it is in 0.2

What about a tree list?  Could you have each top level node in the tree
represent a module in which the search found a result and then list the search
results underneath?  Of course, that might be cumbersome.  Or in a search list
you could have a bar for each module and then the list of books underneath.

For example

Matthew Henry's Commentary
  John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world..."
  1 Corinthians 13:35 "Now these three remain, faith, hope and love"   ...
KJV
  Passage 1...
  Passage 2...
 ... etc.

If a user clicked on the module entries, they would be taken to the first verse
in the search list for that module.

Another option would be maybe a table widget format where each module is
displayed in columns and corresponding search results are displayed in rows,
that way all the corresponding passages are in the same row.  But that presents
the difficulty of aligning search results.  What do you do in the case of a
search key appearing in, say John 3:1-16, in one translation and in John
3:13-14, 17 in another.  This may or may not happen, but it does pose an
interesting level of difficulty to the problem. Another downside is the fact
that unless the user has a huge monitor, they will most likely have to scroll
sideways to view the search results.  I tend to dislike scrolling sideways
since it's rather unnatural.

Overall, I think the list is the best way to represent the data, but I just
though you'd like some more thoughts on it.

Tom