[bt-devel] windowList()

Torsten Uhlmann bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 08:41:55 +0100

On Don, 02 Mär 2000 darwin@ichristian.com wrote:
> Torsten Uhlmann writes:
>
> > windowList is declared in qworkspace.h which is in the _new_ qt-copy.
> > When I cvsup'ed yesterday I found qt-copy updated (many changes). After
> > compiling it and kdelibs I found that BT had problems with clientList
> > because it was renamed into windowList.
> >
> > So you need to update your qt.
>
> I updated to the Qt-2.1.0beta2 last night in case that is where the problem
> resided (unfortunate choice of beta2 instead of copy).  I was unable to get
> KDE Libraries to compile, so I probably need to move to the QT-Copy.
>
> > I'm very sorry for the hassle it's kind like catching the train and never
> > succeed but what else could we do?
>
> It's not your fault.  The good news is that with Qt in beta, changes should
> be a little less major at that level.  I would expect KDE to hit Beta
> status soon.
>
> Since I haven't been involved in KDE development before, at what stage in
> the freeze process are the libraries finalized?  I would suspect that it is
> early on since the other parts of the environment use them, but this is
> only assumption.

KDE is supposed to release a 1.9x version soon which should hold the
finalized (or mostly finalized) API of the KDE libs. A beta (or even final?)
was supposed to be released in Spring (this year), but I think that will be
delayed.
Anyway if you take into account the many changes during the KDE2 development
(mainly use of CORBA, then replace CORBA with DCOP), I think we have a quiet
peaceful life here :)

> > If you have direct internet connection (no Proxy) I'd strongly recommend
> > using cvsup that saves a lot of problems for you and is really easy to set up.
>
> Connection speed is no problem, as I have a cable modem, and can download
> all of the source code in a few minutes (in fact downloading all of
> BibleTime from CVS takes less than 30 seconds).  The hard part is the hour
> or more spent recompiling everything this way.

Yes, but qt-copy isn't updated each day. It's mainly the same as downloading
snapshots, but without pulling everything again each time. There was once a
script published in kde-devel mailing list that would build KDE2 incremental,
means not from scratch each time. You could search kde-devel if you're
interested.

--

best regards,
Torsten Uhlmann