[bt-devel] The next steps to version 1.0

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 21:31:52 +0000

Hi!

After we finally got 0.3 out of the door I try to list the next steps we
should take.
Please comment on the different topics and their items, we need some
discussion to get the right features working correctly.
If I forgot some features or point please mention them NOW!

BTW, I like discussions ;-)

Major things which have to be done:
--------------------------
-Printing
	-Make use of formatting styles
	-Create a nice printing dialog which contains support for special features
 	(different styles, queue management, preview etc.)

-Threading (non-GUI-blocking searching, faster opening of modules) (Martin)

-Graphical module (un)installation dialog (me)
	-Installation of modules
	-Uninstallation of modules
	-Check of common problems like wrong permissions, non-existant SWORD
directory etc.

Minor things:
----------
-faster graphical search analysis (get the tooltips working, faster painting,
moe functions) (me)
-Working "Tip of the Day"
	-Does crash X at the moment
-bugfixes
	-Do you know bugs?
-More translations of BibleTime itself, of the HTML startup-help pages and of
the handbook. Any volunteers?
-Refining the handbook (Jeff ?)

Open for discussion:
---------------
-Should we tag the current stage to 0.3 ? Doing this we could release some
0.3x release from time to time. IMHO not worth it because it lots of work to
maintain both and to release 0.3x and later at the same time.
-Should we continue 0.2x? IMHO we should release 0.25 in a few days and close
the 0.2x part of BibleTime. Translators should concentrate on 0.3x.
-Should we require the new KDE2 beta after it's release? The Beta and later
versions of KDE2 will be binary compatible to final 2.0. Only bugfixes will
be apllied. Do you agree?

Things not done due to a lack of volunteers:
--------------------------------
-New "module" pages for www.bibletime.de. You know, the pages listing the
companies owning copyrights on modules in your language! Modules should be
made available for free or for some money, but they should be available!
Volunteers for this?

BTW, if you announce BT somewhere please use as Download URL this URL:

http://www.bibletime.de/cgi-bin/ax.pl?<Directory and file on www.bibletime.de>
e.g.
http://www.bibletime.de/cgi-bin/ax.pl?/Download/0.3/bibletime-0.3.tar.gz

I use AXS to count the access on bibletime.de, you can statistics on
www.bibletime.de/cgi-bin/ax-admin.pl . The logs were restarted at the day of
the release of 0.3.

--Joachim