[bt-devel] Plugin support?

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 17:01:20 +0000

Hi!

> IMO we are not far enough with bt to have plugin support now.
> We need then well defined interfaces that should not change with every
> minor version change. - but maybe I am wrong...

Sure, we need a good interface.
But we need a good base for future extensions. I think we don't want to
rewritw it for 0.5 ;-)

> btw I have no idea how to do this.

In KDevelop2 there are some example. We have to use KLibraryFactory etc.
A plugin is a shared library which is loaded by BibleTime if it's required.
We pass some pointers (backend, frontend etc.) to the plugin.
At least in my opinion this is the way but I've never done it.

> Maybe we should try to switch to shared libraries first?
>
> A Kword part would be great for sermon editing...

I was thinking to integrate presenters as KPart or Plugin.

BTW, the backend is defined very well by Torsten so it should be easy to
integrate a backend for sermons. Opinions?

> Btw, who should develop plugins?
>
> Are we going to distibute the sword CDs?

Yes, Darwin want to post a CD. I'll send them to others who volunteer to
distribute them in Germany.

--Joachim