[bt-devel] beta1 is released now

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 10:42:13 +0000

Hi Jeff!

Am Sam, 01 Jul 2000 schrieben Sie:
> On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> > I forgot to add that we need a "key chooser" widget.
> >
> > It should replace these 3 comboboxes and maybe these 4 buttons in Bible
> > and Commentary presenters. The toolbar is too big and it's complicated to
> > choose a verse, it takes too long etc.
>
> My recommendation is to eliminate the buttons; I like the comboboxes a lot.
> I think they should stay.  IMHO they are more useful than a key chooser.

How would you eleminate the buttons? How should the layout look like?

> We also need key bindings (like accelerators in 0.2x) to navigate through
> the modules.  I strongly recommend <ctrl vertical-arrows> to navigate
> verses, <ctrl horizontal-arrows> for chapters, and <ctrl pgup/pgdown> for
> books.  I still think it would be nice to have the option to display a
> chapter at a time in commentary presenters.

Ok. We'll implement it.

> > > Joachim, thank you for the screenshots. That is just exactly what we
> > > needed. The animated logos search is very interesting and also the
> > > greek window.
>
> To add the functionality Logos has we need better Sword modules.  For me,
> footnotes and Strong's numbers have never worked, ever.  I think it is more
> of a Sword issue (as the backend) than a BT issue.  Personally I would love
> to see it - studying for sermons and on my own would be greatly benefited.

Did footnotes and strongs really not work?
You need a module which contains them!

BTW, you can see if a module supports strongs or footnotes by right-clicking
on the module in BibleTime 0.3. Choose "Info" from the menu.
e.g. the module KJVSTR contains strong numbers.

> Another question: does Sword (or BT) convert modules of different format
> into one format (such as HTML) on-the-fly for display, or are they
> displayed "as-is"?

BibleTime converts to HTML on the fly, the text of SWORD is often formatted
as GBF.

> Also, does the HTML widget allow you to double-click on a word to select
> it? (Didn't work for me...)
I think we have to implement it.

> > > Now how do we continue the development? We need ideas. Joachim, I'm not
> > > sure whether a graphical installation of modules is necessary (there is
> > > an installmanager on the sword CD), and it would maybe be an
> > > indepentent app. We should be sure to use our few capabilities and
> > > resources in the right place.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
>
> Easier module install for newbies would be nice!

The installation dialog ;-)
But Martiin dislikes it.

> > > also remaining are:
> > > -searchdialog (layout, rexexpeditor)
>
> Combine search text and search scope panes?

Hmm, needs to be discussed.

> > > -printing
> > >
> > > My suggestion: have strongnumbers behave as hyperlinks into their
> > > dictionary We need to speed bt up! Not only a sword matter...
>
> YES YES YES!!!!!!!  Also verse references within commentaries and
> lexicons!!!!

Formmatting strong numbers as hyperlinks should be easy since they are
formatted with special tags in GBF.
But it's difficult for verse references in commentaries and lexicons since
they aren't (normally) formatted with special tags. AFAIK only in ThTML they
use tags for this.

> Thanks,
> Jeff

--Joachin