[bt-devel] beta1 is released now

Jeffrey Hoyt bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 22:38:19 -0700

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, you wrote:

> I forgot to add that we need a "key chooser" widget.
>
> It should replace these 3 comboboxes and maybe these 4 buttons in Bible and
> Commentary presenters. The toolbar is too big and it's complicated to
> choose a verse, it takes too long etc.

My recommendation is to eliminate the buttons; I like the comboboxes a lot.
I think they should stay.  IMHO they are more useful than a key chooser.

We also need key bindings (like accelerators in 0.2x) to navigate through the
modules.  I strongly recommend <ctrl vertical-arrows> to navigate verses,
<ctrl horizontal-arrows> for chapters, and <ctrl pgup/pgdown> for books.  I
still think it would be nice to have the option to display a chapter at a
time in commentary presenters.

> > Joachim, thank you for the screenshots. That is just exactly what we
> > needed. The animated logos search is very interesting and also the greek
> > window.

To add the functionality Logos has we need better Sword modules.  For me,
footnotes and Strong's numbers have never worked, ever.  I think it is more
of a Sword issue (as the backend) than a BT issue.  Personally I would love
to see it - studying for sermons and on my own would be greatly benefited.

Another question: does Sword (or BT) convert modules of different format into
one format (such as HTML) on-the-fly for display, or are they displayed
"as-is"?

Also, does the HTML widget allow you to double-click on a word to select it?
(Didn't work for me...)

> > Now how do we continue the development? We need ideas. Joachim, I'm not
> > sure whether a graphical installation of modules is necessary (there is
> > an installmanager on the sword CD), and it would maybe be an indepentent
> > app. We should be sure to use our few capabilities and resources in the
> > right place.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Easier module install for newbies would be nice!

> > also remaining are:
> > -searchdialog (layout, rexexpeditor)

Combine search text and search scope panes?

> > -printing
> >
> > My suggestion: have strongnumbers behave as hyperlinks into their
> > dictionary We need to speed bt up! Not only a sword matter...

YES YES YES!!!!!!!  Also verse references within commentaries and lexicons!!!!

Thanks,
Jeff
--
| http://jhoyt.faithweb.com |