[bt-devel] Lexicon presenter

fred bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 16:23:20 -0500

I have just finally been able to get BT 0.3 working.  I notice that any
module including the lexicon opens and displays reasonibly fast.  If
however I open the largest lexicon and several other modules at the same
time the computer freezez with the clatter of disk thrashing.

I suspect that when the size of the modules opened and the other code
necessary to display the modules (parts of QT, the OS, KDE, and so on)
exceeds the amount of physical ram then the OS starts paging stuff
currently in use to swap.  Given that this is inherent in Linux ( given the
same situation windows crashes) you probably will not be able to eliminate
this unless a way can be found to load only part of a module data file, or
force a particular part of the large data file (not currenntly being
displayed) to swap.

Of course if this is a RAM issue I should also be able to solve the problem
by getting some more RAM.

I have also run into this problem with Star Office 5.2, which has a number
of very large modules which probably need to be loaded and used
simultainously.

The computer is a PC clone with a 133 Cyrix with 32MB RAM.

By the way the presentation looks good, and all of the features I have
tried so far work flawlessly.

Fred Saalbach