[bd-users] Saving the current view

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 12:50:46 MST 2007

On Jun 27, 2007, at 2:57 PM, Carl Peterson wrote:

> DM,
>
> As far as ideas, in completely (or, at least, mostly unrelated)
> lines of thought, here are some things that I'd *really* like to
> see in a future version:
>
> *Add "next chapter"/"previous chapter" buttons, or allow some sort
> of scrolling functionality so that if I pick a chapter from the
> pick list, I can quickly navigate to the next or previous. I've
> used both the history and selection expansion buttons, but they
> really don't do the job as smoothly.

Good idea. I think that 2 small buttons on each side of the quick
picker for previous/ next book/chapter would be good. And fairly
easy. Would there be any issues with moving it all to the ToolBar?

> *I really liked the fact that commentaries were brought out of the
> sidebar. Is it possible to bring the other stuff out, as well. Some
> modules (I'm thinking particularly of the Bible atlas module) are
> not really usable in the limited screen real-estate of the sidebar
> view pane. Or, as an alternative, allow the view pane to resize
> images to fit.

Did you know that you can grab the border of the "Reference" sidebar
and drag it all the way to the left? That way, you only see the
commentary, dictionary,  gen book. If you look at the screenshots at
the Bible Desktop website, there is one showing the Bible Atlas in
that fashion.

We can easily make this more obvious, like we do for the Passage
Sidebar (but having it visible by default.), which has little
controls which allow you to quickly show/hide/expand the passage
sidebar.

As to bring out the other books, it is not a good idea to bring out
the commentaries in that fashion. It was done as a stop gap mechanism
so that you could search them. The problem is that many Commentaries
have one entry per chapter or passage and all the verses tie to it.
When you view the chapter, you get each verse (i.e. the same text
repeated over and over again.)

One of the changes that we have talked about, but it is a ways out is
to represent the Reference side bar's book list as a tree, with
search results under each node. That way when you do a Bible search
or lookup, it would do a parallel background search against each
reference, populating the tree.

Likewise, when you search the current BibleView, it would search all
the Bibles and populate the Passage Sidebar with results as a tree
with Bibles with results as the parent of the parts.