[bd-users] Bible Desktop questions

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 20:14:35 MST 2007

Welcome Jeffrey,

On Jul 18, 2007, at 4:15 PM, Jeffrey Needle wrote:

> Hello, I'm wondering if I can ask a few questions about Bible Desktop.
>
> 1.  Is development ongoing?  I notice the note that "personal
> notes" is
> not currently working.  Is this being fixed?

Development is ongoing, with releases about every quarter.
BibleDesktop does not support personal commentary yet. It will be in
the next major release. Along with lots of other "personalization"
features, like bookmarks and saving where you are on closing BD and
picking up there when you start.

I think we may have a minor release before then targeting a more
complete Farsi translation. Probably within the next 4 weeks.

> 2.  When I display Strong's numbers and morphological tags, I don't
> get
> anything when clicking on the morph. tags.  Strongs works pretty
> well --
> most of the time -- but the other doesn't seem to work at all.

The KJV has morph tags for both the OT and the NT. However there is
no module for the OT morphological tags. For the NT you will need to
install Robinsons.

A linguist with our group plans to add a module of OT morph tags, but
it may take some time.

Strong's should work all the time, for modules that have Strong's
Numbers as a feature.

> 3.  Is there a way to add my own files to Bible Desktop?  Not Bible
> files,
> but books, like the Sword books I've imported.

BibleDesktop can read and display any Sword book. I don't know how
you've imported Sword books. But, BD also will look in the standard
locations that "The SWORD Project for Windows", "GnomeSword", and
"BibleTime" install Sword books. MacSword stores Sword Modules in a
non-standard way and BD can't find it's Books. I probably could
figure out a way to migrate them to a more standard way, if needed.

In Options -> Sword Books, you can add directories where you have
Sword modules. This directory should contain a mods.d directory with
the Sword module's conf and a modules directory containing the
modules data. This is Sword's standard layout.

By having a separate directory from where BibleDesktop downloads
books, BibleDesktop won't offer the option to delete them.

> Thanks for any help you can be.

You're welcomed. And thank you for your feedback.

In His Service,
	DM Smith