[bd-users] Is there something screwy on the Windows version?

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 04:55:57 MST 2007

Carl,
    Thanks so much for your feedback. Two things drive development:
feedback and perhaps a bit selfishly what I find interesting to work on
next. I try to favor feedback. See below for response:

Carl Peterson wrote:
> I just downloaded and installed BD to my Windows machine. Two things
> that immediately strike me upon entering:
>
> 1) What's up with the drop-down box for the Bible translations? The
> width of the box is almost nothing. When I click the drop-down arrow,
> all I can see is the first letter of the version name. Am I the only
> one seeing that. I run Vista, if that makes any difference.

I'll look to see what is going on here. I don't have access to Vista,
but can check on WinXP. Yours is the first report of a problem with the
picker.

I'm wondering if this is a first use problem. Does it happen after
restart? That is, after you added a few Bibles, quit BD and then started
it again, were the pickers big enough?

> 2) I know you said you really don't want the commentaries in with the
> Bibles, but it would be nice if I could set the commentary pane to
> sync with the Bible.

We have this in our list of requests. Perhaps you (or anyone else) can
help me figure out how this should work. The Bible View pane presents
either:
1) a chapter of a book of the Bible (via the quick pick)
2) the verses that you looked up. This can be a single verse, a range of
verses or a bunch of ranges of verses.
3) the results of a search.

Would it be sufficient to make the selected commentary jump to the first
verse on the page? (This would be easy)

If you click in a verse in a page, would it be good to jump? (This may
be hard and may conflict with how we might do linking to a dictionary)
Maybe clicking on the verse number would make it jump?

> Also, a "prev note"/"next note" button set next to the Scripture
> pickers would help.

Would this go to the prev/next in the commentary or be based on what
scriptures you are seeing?
Perhaps a toggle button or check box "Link to Bible View" would allow
the switch.

By the way, I've been asked to put prev/next buttons for the
Book/Chapter Bible pickers.

> I'm not very familiar with how commentary modules are set up, but is
> introductory material (book introductions, chapter introductions)
> contained in a separate record or is it lumped in with the commentary
> for the first verse of whatever region its introducing? If the former
> is the case, it would be nice to have an option to select using the
> pick boxes those introductions.

Commentaries are laid out just like Bibles. Both have the notion of
introductory material at verse "0". So Genesis 0:0, would give
introductory material for Genesis. Gen 1:0 would give introductory
material for Genesis 1.

That said, Bible Desktop does not yet do this but it is in our queue.